Winter is all about layering up in snuggly sweaters, stunning hats and cozy footwear. While we all love the comfort and feel of cashmere cardigans and faux leather boots, these items are not exactly easy to maintain. Luckily for you, we’ve got some tips that will help you provide your winter wear with all the Tender Loving Care they need!
Faux Leather Boots
- Whenever you wear boots, make sure you brush off any loose dirt outside before taking them off. Hang them to dry on a rack, if wet.
- Clean your boots with a mild soap and water solution and a soft white cloth. Dry thoroughly before storing them, or else the material could start deteriorating.
- For tough stains, apply a half-water, half-vinegar solution with a soft, white cloth.
- Always stuff your boots with tissue paper or newspaper to retain their shape.
- Keep those shiny boots out of direct sunlight to prevent fading and cracking.
- In case of any scuffs or scratches, use shoe polish to cover up.
- Keep a lint brush in handy so you can get rid of any pet hair, human hair or lint in minutes.
- Use manicure scissors to remove any stray, tiny threads. NEVER pull on a thread.
- Before washing your wool coat or sweater, check the label to see if it needs to be hand-washed or dry-cleaned. For hand-washable products, use a mild soap and roll it up in a towel to dry. Do NOT wring the coat. Lay it flat on the towel and adjust it to its original shape. If it says dry-clean only, send it to your trusty neighborhood laundry or use a home dry-cleaning kit.
- For stain removal, use cool water with a wool appropriate stain remover. For food stains, try carbonated water.
- Hand your wool coat/sweater on a cedar hanger to prevent moth attacks.
- If you want to remove wrinkles from the garment, hang it up in the bathroom with the shower set on hot water. Let the room steam up for 10–15 minutes. Leave the coat inside till the steam dissipates.
- Cashmere is a luxurious fabric so you have to be extra cautious. Read the labels carefully – some cashmere items are dry clean only – in these cases, do NOT hand wash them.
- If your cashmere cardigan is hand-washable, clean it only with lukewarm water and a very mild soap/shampoo. NEVER wring cashmere; otherwise the fabric will lose its shape and beauty. Gently squeeze excess water out and lay it out flat on a towel, restoring it to its original shape.
- Do NOT hang cashmere items – simply fold them when dry and place them in a drawer.
- Keep your cashmere apparel away from heaters and direct sunlight if you want them to last longer.
- If your hat is wet, shake off the excess water and let it air dry. Do NOT dry it in areas that are too humid as mildewing can occur.
- Use a soft bristle brush to clean the hat. Brush the top and bottom counter-clockwise and the sides in the direction of the nap.
- To get rid of tough stains, blend a solution of mild powdered detergent and lukewarm water and gently scrub stains away with a soft bristled brush. Rinse with water to finish.
- Always store your hats in a box or hang them to retain shape.