Combat biting cold with cozy wear this winter. Runways all around the world saw unconventional creativity by designers, who scorched the ramp with varieties of textures, embellishments, fur, fabrics, and volume.
In Milan Autmn/Winter 2014 fashion show, Fendi collection showed layers and volume, while Iceberg mixed knits and neoprene, fur collars, and pleats in its textures. Tommy Hilfiger used a lot of thick fabrics and layers in his collection. On the other hand, Vera Wang displayed light fabrics adorned with stunning appliqués and other embellishments to give the collection an opulent feel.
Wills India Fashion Week displayed interesting textures and effects by veteran and budding designers. Some of them pushed the envelope with their exciting new designs.
- The metallic trend finally arrived in India this year. Designers Gaurav Jai Gupta, Sanchita, and Anand Bhushan used metallic yarns, embellishments, and fabric treatments. So, metallic in your wardrobe promises to shine in the dull, cold days.
- The winter collection saw a good dose of complicated threadwork on gorgeous, sheer gowns and dresses. Designer duos Rabani and Rakha and Pankaj and Nidhi used Baroque inspired rich embroidery in their evening wear collections.
- Designer Rahul Mishra used delicate threadwork in wool. This was an eye-catching collection.
Embroidered pieces combined with western wear are in vogue this season. They pose as elegant party wear.
- Blankets coats are sizzling hot this season. Burberry’s coats are superb.
Astrakhan fur is an interesting trend from the runway. Its jolie laide texture says “reach out and touch me!”
- Textured garments are ruling the ramp this season.
- Velvet texture with solid hues is “in.” The Elie Saab collection showcases ombre colored velvets in ankle-length dresses and coats.
- Layered knits are hot this winter…and they need not make you look bulky. Collections of Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, and Stella McCartney showcase thin layered knits that flatter your curves and provide warmth simultaneously.
- The Spring/Summer collection of Christian Dior and Viktor & Rolf displayed insignia details and patchwork on fabrics. This trend got entry in winter collection too.
- Dark blue is regarded as neutral; but this time red takes over in New York, Paris, Milan, and London fashion weeks.
- Fuzzy texture is trendy.
One of the hottest trends this winter is combining sheer with volume. Long, flowing sheer fabrics teamed with woolen jackets or coats are trendy.
In a nutshell
Rough textures and furry surfaces are combined with smooth and sleek fabrics this season. Similarly, warm and heavy shades are combined with cool and airy ones. Designers this season have used high-end technology to create innovative designs with their intelligent fabrics.
Fabric surfaces are textured and feature a detailed look this season. Prints and stripes are done in innovative ways, while complicated technology is utilized to add dimension to fabric and highlight the tactile qualities of knits and wools. Designers choose to choose crisp and fresh fabrics instead of heavy ones. The idea is to give wearers a heavenly, warm, luxurious feel.